MHCA Safety Info

How to Report:

  • Missing Street Signs: Report missing or damaged street signs to the Fairfax County Sign Shop at 703-934-2840. Remember to state whether the post and sign are missing, or just the signs
  • Street Light Outage:; Report at street light outage at this this Fairfax County link:
  • Missing Traffic Signs [such as Deer Crossing, Curve, etc.]: Call Fairfax County Traffic Engineering at 703.383.2395
  • Potholes: Call the Virginia Department of Transportation 703-383-8368. Staff will need to know the exact location of the pothole or road damage.
  • Abandoned Cars: Call the Fairfax County Police on their non emergency number 703-691-2131 or Virginia State Police on non emergency number 703-323-4500.
  • Poorly-Timed Traffic Signals: Call the Fairfax County Signal Shop at 703-383-2776
  • Street LIghtMalfunctions/Outages: Report street light problems to Virginia Power at 1-888-667-3000. You may also report a street light outage at this Fairfax County link:
  • Crime Incidents/Suspicious Activity: Call the County Operations Center at 703.691.2131. For non-life threatening situations, the procedure is that a phone report is taken over the phone which is followed up by a call from an investigator, usually within 24 hours.For routine inquiries, call the McLean Station at 703.556.7750 or their Crime Prevention Unit at 703.734.0756.

ICE (In Case of Emergency)

Most everyone carries a mobile phone with names and numbers stored in its' memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family member or friend. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know whom to call. There could be many contacts stored, but which one is the person to call in case of an emergency? Hence, "ICE" (In Case of Emergency).

In emergency situations, emergency service personnel and hospital staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored on your mobile phone as "ICE." For more than one contact, simply enter ICE1, ICE2, ICE3, etc. To increase first respondent awareness that serves as a visual alert, you can order an icesticker to place on the back of your cell phone by going to; then click on "Get the Icesticker."

Donate A Phone Program

This program is a national wireless phone collection drive designed to provide domestic violence victims and organizations with a powerful tool in the fight against domestic violence. Phones can be donated by turning them in at any Fairfax County Police Station. The phone, battery, and charger (if available) should be given to the front desk personnel for the Crime Prevention Unit at that District Station.

Home Security Surveys

Upon request, a Fairfax County Police Officer or auxiliary officer will conduct a security survey of your home. The officer will look at your home the way a criminal would, and will make recommendations for improving your home security. A free inspection can be arranged at your convenience by calling the McLean District Crime Prevention Unit at 703-556-0756.

Unwanted Telephone Calls

These calls generally fall into one of several categories. One of these is sales or survey calls. If you would like to have your name and telephone number removed from calling lists for national advertisers, write to Telephone Preference Service, Direct Marketing Association, 6 East 43rd Street, New York, NY 10017. Include your name, address and telephone number with area code in your letter.

McLean Hamlet Public Safety Committee:

Information for this web page was provided by Rick Law, available at (703) 734-2460

Fairfax County:

The Fairfax County Public Safety Web Site provides useful information on police, sheriff, fire and rescue, emergency services, and animal control and shelter.